Adobo Chicken

I took and adapted this recipe from Kayln's Kitchen. It is a South Beach Phase 1 meal. And was DELICIOUS. The kids scarfed it. I made plenty for leftovers so that I could have a quick lunch this week.

6 chicken thighs (with skin and bone)
1 cup soy sauce (low-sodium soy sauce or Tamari is probably best, since the sauce gets reduced)
1/2 cup white wine vinegar (I used half white vinegar and half white cooking wine since our commisary did not have this)
1 1/4 cup water
2 tsp. garlic puree
3 bay leaves
1 small onion, sliced in large slices
fresh ground black pepper to taste



Trim excess skin and fat from chicken, but leave some on. Put chicken in single layer, skin side down, in heavy pan on Med High. Brown on each side.

Mix other ingredients and pour over chicken. Simmer for 1/2 hour or so until cooked nearly cooked through, turning once. Remove chicken and place on broiler tray or in shallow glass casserole which will fit under your broiler.


Strain liquid to remove onion pieces and bay leaves. If you have a fat separator (like a pitcher where the spout comes from the bottom) to degrease the sauce, a step I recommend if you have access to the fat separator or have the patience to cool the sauce and skim off the fat. After fat is removed, boil down the liquid until the sauce is thick enough to barely coat your spoon.



Preheat broiler. Put chicken under broiler, skin side down for 5-10 minutes. Turn and broil skin side another 5-10 minutes (depending on how hot your broiler gets). Serve immediately with sauce.

Goes great with brown rice if you are on Phase 2 or 3. I served mine with roasted asparagas.

Comments

Lady Di said…
This is so what I am making for dinner tomorrow!! Although I will substitute with white meat;)
Lady Di said…
ok, peeps....I made this and it really was yummy!! I change it up a bit because I was too lazy to go to the store but it was sooooo good and my kiddos gobbled it up as well;)

Popular posts from this blog

Moussaka

Quick Delicious Homemade Cinnamon Rolls

Pulled pork sandwiches